Negley Station on the East Busway is the first station in our Station Improvement Program to undergo construction. Check back with this page for the latest project updates, from the construction timeline to rider impacts and detours.
The phases below will begin with the start of construction, and are subject to change.
If you have any questions or concerns during construction, contact Customer Service at 412-442-2000. After business hours, please call 412-566-5544, leave a message, and a Port Authority representative will return your call as soon as possible. You can also Contact Us.
**MAY 2022 UPDATE
Beginning Monday, 5/9 and until further notice, outbound Stop B will be temporarily out of service while crews work on constructing the ramp/stairs to S. Negley Ave. (anticipated to be complete in early June). Riders will board all outbound buses at Stop A. Inbound stops inside the station are not affected at this time.
Beginning Tuesday, March 8, 2022 and for approximately 3 months:
The contractor, Plavchak Construction Company of Elizabeth, Pa., will work on the accessible ramp and stairs from S. Negley Avenue to the station. Once construction begins, access to Negley Station from S. Negley Avenue will be restricted for about three months.
Work hours will be weekdays from about 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Due to construction on the S. Negley Avenue entrance, there will be no direct access to or from S. Negley Avenue to the station and a pedestrian detour via Summerlea Street will be provided. The entrance at Pierce Street will also remain available.
- Riders who typically enter the station from S. Negley Avenue will proceed down S. Negley towards Ellsworth Avenue, make a left on Ellsworth, and a left on Summerlea Street to enter the station. Additional travel time will be needed. See map below.
- Sidewalk closures on S. Negley Avenue directly in front of the station entrance will affect all pedestrian traffic, not just riders. The opposite side of S. Negley Avenue will remain open to pedestrians.
Click image to enlarge.
- Beginning Monday, 5/9 and until further notice, outbound Stop B will be temporarily out of service while crews work on constructing the ramp/stairs to S. Negley Ave. (anticipated to be complete in early June). Riders will board all outbound buses at Stop A. Inbound stops inside the station are not affected at this time.
- Effective Monday, March 7: Outside of the station, the bus stop located at Negley Avenue at East Busway Steps (stop # 11088), located by the station entrance on South Negley Avenue, will be temporarily discontinued while access to the station is restricted. Riders of the inbound 64 Lawrenceville-Waterfront should instead use the bus stop located at Negley Avenue at Ellsworth Avenue (stop # 8566).
- Riders may also board buses at nearby existing bus stops. Need a schedule? Use our Schedule Finder tool.
- Centre Ave at Negley Ave, Stop # 8889 (inbound 82, 86)
- Negley Ave at Centre Ave, Stop # 8191 (inbound 71A, 71C)
- Centre Ave at Negley Ave (Market District), Stop # 8205 (outbound 64, 71A, 71C, 82, 86)
- Negley Ave opposite Claybourne St, Stop # 15456 (outbound 64)
- Ellsworth Ave at Negley Ave, Stop # 8246 (inbound 75)
- Ellsworth Ave at Negley Ave, Stop # 8265 (outbound 75)
- Negley Ave at Ellsworth Ave, Stop # 8566 (inbound 64)
- Negley Ave at Ellsworth Ave, Stop # 15455 (outbound 64)
Notice will be provided to residents in advance of street closures, or parking and lane restrictions.
- Anticipated to begin the week of February 21 and through the project's conclusion around mid-Fall, 2022, the intersection of Pierce Street and Summerlea Street will be closed weekdays from approximately 7 a.m. through 5:30 p.m.
- Also during this time, intermittent lane or parking restrictions will occur on Summerlea Street between Ellsworth Avenue and Pierce Street, and Pierce Street between Summerlea Street and Maryland Avenue. Advance notice will be provided to residents in advance of parking and street closures. A map showing the affected areas can be found below.
Click image to enlarge.
Start date pending completion of phase 1.
- This phase of work will focus on the Summerlea Street entrance, and the inbound and outbound platforms.
- Access from S. Negley Avenue will be restored during this phase.
- The lower plaza near Summerlea Street will be shut down. Riders will still be able to enter and exit from Summerlea Street.
- There will be no cover on the inbound or outbound platforms during part of this phase.
Start date pending completion of phase 2.
- This last phase of work will focus on the busway, including the addition of a concrete jersey barrier, the installation of new lighting, and milling and paving.
- Access from S. Negley Avenue will continue to remain available during this phase.
- Milling and paving work on the busway will require overnight and weekend work, which is expected to occur over two extended weekends to minimize impacts and delays.
- During weekend work, Negley Station will shut down. Buses that serve the station will detour and serve nearby established stops on Ellsworth Avenue and Summerlea Street.
View the Public Presentation
We held an online public meeting on Wednesday, September 1, 2021, to discuss the Negley Station Improvement Project. If you were unable to attend, we welcome you to view a video of the presentation and review the slides. If you have questions or comments, we welcome you to contact us.
Online Public Meeting - September 1, 2021
The Negley Station Improvement Project is part of our Station Improvement Program. This program is aimed at investing capital resources into existing stations along our East and West Busways and Red, Blue and Silver light rail transit lines to increase ridership and encourage more equitable transit-oriented development. Stations were prioritized based on a detailed evaluation of factors contributing to transit-oriented development, and Negley Station rated as one of the high priority locations.
In 2017, a Station Area Plan was developed, and stakeholders and the public were engaged to provide feedack. The ultimate goals of this plan were to provide opportunities for future development at the site, increase transit use, improve station access and create a welcoming station design.
When construction is complete, the new station area will include:
- Improved station visibility and access from South Negley Avenue, Pierce
Street, Summerlea Street, and Maryland Avenue.
- New amenities, including station canopies, benches, waste receptacles and bike racks.
- Improved ADA features, including a wider path with a reduced slope from South Negley Avenue.
- Safety features, including LED lighting upgrades and a crosswalk with concrete barriers.
- A new passenger pick-up and drop-off area from Summerlea Street.
- Landscaping and green infrastructure.
Renderings are for illustrative purposes only. The final project may vary from what is shown.
Click on images to enlarge.
Outbound Canopy View 1
Outbound Canopy View 2
Outbound Canopy Looking Across to Inbound Canopy
Entrance from South Negley Avenue
Crosswalk with Concrete Barriers and Summerlea St. Entrance View 1
Crosswalk with Concrete Barriers and Summerlea St. Entrance View 2
Plants to be Added at Negley Station
Negley Station will have a new landscape design. While some plants will need to be removed, we will be keeping many existing plants, and will also be adding several plants as part of the new design. These new plants include:
|Thornless Cockspur Hawthorne||4|
|Donald Wyman Crabapple||1|
|Red Jewel Crabapple||1|
|Spring Snow Crabapple||1|
|Princeton Sentry Ginko||5|
|Street Keeper Thornless Honeylocust||4|
|Rotudiloba Sweet Gum||4|
|Regal Prince Oak||3|
|Eastern White Pine||1|
|Gro Low Fragrant Sumac||170|
Station Area Plan Historical Documents (2017)